Alberta Traffic Safety Focus for April: Speed

The following was published by Traffic Safety Alberta. Every month they have a new focus, April's focus is on Speed, and the 2015 calendar can be found here: http://www.saferoads.com/pdf/TSP-Calendar-2015.pdf 

May's focus is on Young Drivers and Distracted Driving, it can be found here: http://www.saferoads.com/index.html 

Our traffic safety focus this month is on Speed.


Speeding doesn’t always kill. Brain injuries are one of the most common injuries that results from speed-related collisions. One in four fatal crashes involves a driver travelling at a speed unsafe for the prevailing road conditions.

·         In the last 5 years, 467 people were killed and 12,036 were injured in collisions involving unsafe speed. (2009-2013);

·         In 2013, 26.6 per cent of fatal collisions involved a driver travelling at an unsafe speed;

·         Speeding can cause long-term consequences that may affect you and your family;

·         When you slow down, you increase the safety for yourself and your passengers as well as other road users;

·         Demerits for speeding range from two points (exceeding the posted limit by less than 15 km/h) to six points (exceeding the posted limit by more than 50 km/h);

·         In the last 5 years, 39 per cent of fatal speed-related collisions occurred in urban areas, leaving 61 per cent in rural areas (2009-2013);

·       Edmonton had 50 speed-related fatal collisions, Calgary had 47 and Fort McMurray had 13 (5 in town and 8 just outside town) (2009-2013).

I encourage all of our traffic safety partners to discuss this important issues this month, and have included some draft tweets to assist you.  

  • #Speeding doesn’t always kill – brain injuries are the most common injury in speed-related crashes #abroads #speeddoesntalwayskill 
  • Brain injuries are one of the most common injuries that results from speed-related collisions #abroads #speeddoesntalwayskill 
  • Speed limits save lives every day - maybe today it’s yours! Listen to this http://bit.ly/1fFudbT #abroads 
  • #Speeding increases the probability of injury or death if there is a crash http://bit.ly/1fuojKC #abroads
 For more information or tools, please visit the following sites:
Ø  Saferoads


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lengthy Seismic Acquisition Downturn Reduces The Number Of Companies In Western Canada

Revised Alberta Exploration Directives Will Change the Layout of Future Seismic Programs

Self-Promotion for Independents and Young Professionals: Lessons from Business and Retail Politics